Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Wind and Poetry


The thermometer outside our window broke in the wind! It was quite windy this week.

We also learn poetry, and since it was windy, we learned "Who has seen the wind" by Christina Rossetti:

Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you:
But when the leaves hang trembling,
The wind is passing through. 

Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads
The wind is passing by. 

I learned this when I was a child too.

I am a great lover of literature, and when looking through the curriculum we use as a template for our classes, I was not impressed with the poetry at all. The stuff you learn as a child sticks in your head for the rest of your life, so it's better to have good poetry stuck in there! So, we've had some Blake, and Robert Louis Stevenson, and William Makepeace Thackeray, in addition to Christina Rossetti, who wrote wonderful poems suitable for children.

No comments:

Post a Comment